Welcome to the historic Edinburg Mill, one of the few Mills to survive the burning during the Civil War.
The 1848 Mill has been tastefully and creatively adapted to house an area devoted to transportation in the County through the years: on the great valley pike (US-11), the Shenandoah river and the nearby railroad.
The Edinburg/Madison District museum has been relocated to the Mill and many additional exhibits have been added to display artifacts that demonstrate the rich local history of this agricultural area.
There are exhibits on the Civil War, as well as on the nation's first Civilian Conservation Camp, which was established just outside Edinburg. The main museum displays are located on the second floor, accessible by elevator, and require an admission donation of $3.
The Museum is open year-round, but closed Christmas Day. Hours are: Mon. - Sat., 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Sunday, Noon - 5 p.m. [In bad weather, call to check: 540-984-8400]
The Museum includes a 50-seat theater where the film, The Burning is shown throughout the day. The film, based on the book by John Heatwole, was prepared expressly for The Edinburg Mill, and copies are available for sale.
The 3rd floor is devoted to period clothing, military uniforms, textiles, such as quilts, Boy Scouts and The American Red Cross.
Two large Museum Gift Shops are located on the first floor which offers a large variety of items for sale, including books and Christmas items.
The lower level, with separate outside entrances that are handicap-accessible, houses banquet rooms, Heritage Mill Wines 1848 and "Pixie's At The Mill", a restaurant serving country home-cooking 7 days a week.
The Edinburg Mill is located in Edinburg's Historic District. It is designated as a Virginia Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building is now surrounded by a flood wall to protect it from the possibility of high water from nearby Stony Creek. Just inside the wall is a patio where the Memory Walk is located. This area is covered with granite pavers purchased by Mill supporters, many in memory of those who have passed on. Those pavers will continue to be sold until the area is full.
The Mill is owned by the Town of Edinburg, which is in partnership with the Edinburg Heritage Foundation, a 501(c)3 corporation, for the operation and fund-raising to support the historic structure.